Robert Forrest - He came to Penarth in the 1850's and described the locality as having a few tumbledown farms with no shops
and no roads. With the rise of the coal industry the landscape became quickly urbanised. It was Forrest who-designed and built the
first rows of housing on Windsor lands around Penarth and Grangetown. Early examples of his humble but functional designs can be seen
in Lower Ludlow Street and Glebe Street.
Henry Cornelius Harris - born1851. He designed houses in Hickman Road including one for himself. Also, houses in Plymouth
Road including again, one for his own family - 'Kingscote'. In 1875 - 76 he designed Albert Road School built from stones cut
from the quarry that would subsequently become Belle-Vue Park. The school's caretaker'S house, formerly the headmaster's house,
is a good example of the late Gothic style. Harris's finest design was the Chapel on the corner of Churchill Way, Cardiff. It shows
the High Gothic style and has an interior or exceptional quality. In recent years it has been an architects' office and a pub/restaurant.
Harris, with another architect (Snell) began building Penarth Public Baths in 1883. Sadly, he died at the early age of 33.
John P. Jones - In the 1880's he designed 'Ashdene' on Brigeman Road and lived there with his family. He designed Severn Road
Primary School in 1881 - 82. With T. Waring he designed one of Cardiff's most familiar sights - the High Street Arcade in 1886.
The following year he designed the facade for the Cardiff Indoor Market. Jones also worked with Budgen on several well known
Cardiff buildings including Roath Park Methodist Church at the corner of Albany Road. No longer a church it survives as a retail outlet.
However, still in existence and standing as first built is 'The Borough Arms' St. Mary's Street. It was opened in 1891. Its high,
narrow ornamental facade is typical of late Victorian urban architecture.
Harry Snell - In 1881 he was lodging at 77 Plassey Street. His occupation is listed as Architect and Surveyor. He played a major
part in the third phase of the Windsor building programme designing housing for the emerging middle classes. He built houses on Marine
Parade, Westbourne Road and Park Road; with Henry Cornelius Harris he built Penarth Baths in 1883. In 1904 he built the Penarth Public
Library using a Jacobean style.
Frederick Speed - notable as a builder who was also a designer - many of Penarth homes have such a pedigree. His most famous
building is BeachCliff built in 1904.
Harry Teather - designed several outstanding buildings covering the early 20th century period. These include several around Mount
Stuart Square and in particular Baltic House. In 1936 he designed The Washington Cinema for the Willmore brothers who also owned the
1914 Windsor Kinema which is now a garage. In the later 20th century Penarth architects like Dale Owen produced successful modernistic
designs with flat roofs and wide open courtyards. Even today contemporary Penarth architects like Chris Loyn are producing cutting
edge architectural designs to award winning standards.