Local historian, Alan Thorne, recently gave a talk at the Penarth Conservative Club on the local architects who created the fine
old buildings that still adorn large parts of the town. The following is a brief outline of his talk:-
John Newman in his 1995 classic reference book 'The Buildings of Wales - Glamorgan' states: 'The small scale of the town and the
density of notable buildings make it particularly worth exploring on foot.' As well as their Penarth buildings those architects
were very busy if not more so in Cardiff. Their work can still be viewed, sometimes unchanged, since their original construction.
Notable amongst those talented men were:
Arthur Llewellyn Batchelor Born 1860, son of John Batchelor whose statue stands in The Hayes. Arthur built Albany Road
Primary School on Albany Road in 1886 - 87.
Henry Budgen - resided in Victoria Road. In 1897 - 98 he built The Methodist church in Porthkerry whose interior he
modelled on St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. In 1901 he built Albert Road Methodist Church. Other notable buildings include
Cambrian Buildings on the corner of Mount Stuart Square.
John Coates Carter - 1859-1927. Born in Norfolk he came to Wales, circa 1880 as assistant to J. Pollard Seddon (1827 - 1900).
Carter became an outstanding practitioner of the Arts and Craft movement. He resided in Victoria Road and building houses in
Penarth. Examples of his Arts and Craft style can be found in Victoria Road, Clinton Road, Archer Road and Redlands Road.
In 1901 he built All Saints Church and the Paget Rooms. His masterpiece is considered to be Caldey Island monastery.
EWM Corbett - Son of an influential relation of the Bute Family. He was an exponent of the late Gothic style and two outstanding
examples are the Cardiff and County Club in Westgate Street and the South Wales Institute of Engineers (opposite the New Theatre)
now a club / restaurant. Corbett's most striking building is Roath Primary School, Pen-y-Wain Road built in 1894- 95. Corbett
was a prolific designer of housing for the Bute estate using at least six different styles. Examples of his styles include homes
on the northern end of Cathedral Road, Plasturton Gardens (1886 - 1891) and houses in Ryder Street, Pitman Street, Hamilton Street
and the surrounding area of Pontcanna up into Pen-y -lan Road. He also designed large houses in Ninian Road and Lake Road East.